Eating Well Through the Holidays
Eat to Make Joy in Your Body
During the holiday season, it is really easy to constantly be nibbling on a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Food tends to be rich and laden with the sweetness of sugar this time of year. Truth is … we do have to be careful and mindful about how we choose to eat through the holiday season. It sounds pretty simple … but, the truth is that it is not all that easy. Sugar tends to be very addictive to most of us and once we start it can be really easy to throw the towel in and overindulge!
Being Mindful with Food at Holiday Parties
So, you get to the party and there is a huge table of holiday baked goods and high calorie holiday beverages being served. Did you know that a slice of pecan pie and a cup of egg nog can put you in at close to 1000 calories. Yikes! Back in the day when we were working hard in the fields and moving our bodies indulging would have a different meaning. However, many of us sit at a desk all day and then indulge at night. Our patients on the HCG Diet, often have a hard time with holiday parties as it takes a strong dose of willpower to get through.
Tips for Eating at Holiday Festivities
- Make a commitment before you go to the party to stay tried and true to your healthy diet. Eating a bunch of sugar is really not going to make you feel good and will not benefit you at all.
- Bring the vegetable platter and snack off of that instead of the cakes, cookies and chocolates.
- Follow the two bite rule … if you must try something allow yourself to have 2 small bites only. Often, this is enough to get the satisfaction of what the food tastes like. You can really enjoy these 2 bites probably just as much as you would if you were to devour the entire piece.
- Have a small healthy meal of lean, clean protein and a good dose of organic vegetables before you go. Going to a party with lots of food in a state of hunger is not a good idea.
- Think of how great you will feel when you get home if you have nourished yourself with healthy food and water.
- Enjoy and have fun!